Tuesday, May 1, 2012

King's evaluation

After Gulliver gives a "historical Account" of Europe the King ends his response with one of the most famous passages from Gulliver's Travels:
But by what I have gathered from your own Relation, and the Answers I have with much pains wringed and extorted from you, I cannot but conclude the Bulk of your Natives to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Is the King's evaluation valid? Why or why not?

1 comments:

The Kings said...

With the descriptions of the English people that were so different from their way of life he concluded that they acted like vermin...and were not very good people. To the King it was valid...in many ways they were not good...but I think he was a little prejudiced in thinking his ways of life and people were so great.