Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Grossness

Just as in Lilliput, Gulliver takes time to explain his "natural Necessities" and the "one Thing, which another could not do for me." Gulliver says this to us in his defense for "dwelling" on the "Necessities of Nature":
I hope the gentle reader will excuse me for dwelling on these and the like particulars, which however insignificant they may appear to groveling vulgar minds, yet will certainly help a philosopher to enlarge his thoughts and imagination … which was my sole design in presenting this and other accounts of my travels to the world
What do think is Swift's purpose in mentioning the common bodily functions of defecating and urinating?

1 comments:

The Kings said...

I don't know...but I assume it was to let others know how things were for him and how these bodily functions were a challenge in different places. Also, as a point of knowledge as he writes his history of his travels. Things that were not an issue at home were a big issue in places he visited and lived.