Friday, November 4, 2011

Minny

Do you believe that Minny was justified in her distrust of white people?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yes in most cases. She seemed to have had the worst ones.
I think it is because she had a feeling inside that it shouldn't be this way. She was always fighting and didn't just let it be like so many of the other women did.
I appreciate that about her.
I do think she was racist toward white people and sometimes it isn't recognized when it goes the other way. The difference in her case though is that she had reasons for it where as the women in her town that were racist toward her did not.

The Royals said...

I do think that her outrage was justified. She was trampled on by white people for so long. However, we should look at it a little different. Now we look at racism in the 20th century as an outrage. Back then, though, the thinking was different. Many people actually thought that you could catch diseases by sitting on the same toilet seat as black people. (Doctors used to recommend cigarettes, for heaven's sake!) Times change and we learn and grow. I think we need to not be so quick to judge. "As I have loved you, love one another."

Seth and Julie said...

Yes. Not many people could continually take the high road like Aibileen did. Most people eventually lose trust. There are people I no longer trust because they have failed me time and again. I do not hate them, but I do not trust them either. I think that is okay. I do agree that Minny was probably racist and I agree that I get frustrated when people consider racism to only go in one direction. Anyone who hates someone based on their race, is racist. I have no tolerance for it, but in that time and that place, I do not fault Minny for it. She was horribly wronged repeatedly and it would have been pretty hard to rise above it.

The Kings said...

She was very outspoken and that cost her jobs. but I think she was trying to speak out not only against the wrongs she could see done to her and others but was also living with a man who abused her. She gained courage to say enough to her husband when she finally had the courage to support "the cause" and speak out. She also provided a way to protect her friends. I am glad that she developed a relationship with Celia and her husband (although it was scary at first).