Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rosa

Liesel believes that Hans Hubermann's eyes show kindness, and from the beginning she feels closer to him than to Rosa Hubermann. How does Hans gain Liesel's love and trust? Why is it so difficult for Rosa to demonstrate the same warmth toward Liesel? Discuss how Liesel's relationship with Rosa changes by the end of the novel.

3 comments:

The Kings said...

Hans was so good to Liesel and kind. She came to their home with nightmares and bedwetting, etc. and Hans would change her sheets and read to her till she was calm and back to sleep and would stay with her the whole night. Later, she would let him cuddle her when she had such bad dreams. He would miss sleep in order to be with her.
Rosa was so gruff with her in the beginning and would use fowl names to speak to her and call her. Later with the situation with Max and when Hans was away with the war Liesel began to see her softness and love.

Cheryl said...

Rosa was an interesting character. At the beginning I found myself disliking her very much and wondering how she ended up with someone like Hans. (In much the same way as the Olsens on Little house on the prairie)
But then as Max comes you begin to see the real strength to her. She may not be 'warm' but she isn't as cold as she once seemed either.
Hans tells Liesel that Rosa wasn't always like that so I wonder what she was like when she was young and more carefree and what she had gone through to make her harder.
I thought the moments of Liesel seeing her bent over Hans accordian were tender and sweet and showed how she really felt more than anything else she did.

Seth and Julie said...

I never disliked Rosa but I did wonder why she even took Liesel in at first? Hans was perfect. He was naturally compassionate and kind and made it easy for Liesel to truct him by being right there to hold her hand as she battled her demons. I think Rosa had the same kind of compassion for people down deep since she took Liesel in, let Max stay, went to find Liesel when Max woke up...etc., She just wasn't an outwardly warm person. My grandma was my absolute hero and I knew she loved me but she was never warm either. She was reliable though, and trustworthy and ALWAYS there for me and I think Rosa proved to be much the same in the end.