Saturday, July 2, 2011

Death

Discuss the symbolism of Death as the omniscient narrator of the novel. What are Death's feelings for each victim? Describe Death's attempt to resist Liesel. Death states, "I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both". What is ugly and beautiful about Liesel, Rosa, and Hans Hubermann, Max, Rudy, and Mres. Hermann? Why is death haunted by humans?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

I thought this was a very interesting format to tell the story...using Death as the narrator. (Reminded me of "Meet Joe Black") Because this was a story where death affected so many because of war it was interesting to see the perspective of Death with different people. Papa was sitting up (as was Liesel when she died) to meet Death. Death had come to love Rudy for the good person he was and hated having to come for him and his family...as well as for Mama and the others. He even mentioned carrying Hitler and that must have been very hard to carry bad people along with the good...but it was his job.

Cheryl said...

I found this very interesting as well. I have read some reviews that didn't like it- that thought Death was too caring. I liked that. I think that if there was someone that collected the souls here he would be tender and comforting.
I loved the way he described the scene after the bombing of the children in bed and Hans sitting up for him. It had me bawling.
I believe death is haunted by humans probably because he doesn't know what to expect. He has been doing this forever and yet he can still be surprised by humans. HE can't fully understand what they are all about.

Seth and Julie said...

I also loved that death was caring. He is not the one responsible for the inevitable end of life, just the one who comes to collect souls. I imagine it would be haunting to have that kind of job, especially if you did stop to take a look at who each soul was and even more so like he said, if you stopped and let yourself observe the ones left behind. I am haunted by humans sometimes too, and completely intrigued by the incredible good and extreme evil that we are capable of.