Saturday, July 2, 2011

Liesel and Max

Do Max and Liesel end up married? I thought maybe they did because in it said, "In her final visions, she saw her three children, her grandchildren, her husband, and the long list of lives that merged with hers. Among them lit like lanterns, were Hans and Rosa Hubermann, her brother, and the boy whose hair remained the color of lemons forever." If Max hadn't been mentioned already as her husband, wouldn't she have mentioned him with the others?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

I had the feeling that maybe she got married to Max when she found him alive. She was so overjoyed to see him. They had formed quite a bond while he was in the basement and when he was being marched to the concentration camp she wanted to be with him...even at danger to herself.

Cheryl said...

I really think she did. I felt all along throughout the book that Max and Liesel were going to play a bigger role in each others lives than just that which we were reading about.
They had a connection that she didn't really have with anyone else.
When he was marched through her town and she ran to him I was so touched. At great risk to herself she let him know in that moment that she loved him.
Then he came looking for her.

Seth and Julie said...

As soon as I found out Max lived I thought she would marry him so when I read that passage I had the same thought. I think he purposely left it open ended but I totally think she married him and really who better for her to marry? I am so glad he lived! So much heartbreak in this book that it made my day to see Max come through it and of course right back to his truest friend. Chills!