Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Book Thief

The Grave Digger's Handbook is the first book Liesel steals. Why did she take the book? What is significant about the titles of the books she steals? Discuss why she hides The Grave Digger's Handbook under her mattress. Describe Hans Hubermann's reaction when he discovers the book. What does the act of book thievery teach Liesel about life and death? Explain Rudy's reaction when he discovers that Liesel is a book thief. How does stealing books from the mayor's house lead to a friendship with the mayor's wife? Explain how Liesel's own attempt to write a book saves her life.

3 comments:

The Kings said...

She took the Grave Digger's Handbook because it was by her brother when he died. She didn't know what it was about because she couldn't read then...but I think it made her feel she had a bit of her brother with her.
Later, I think stealing books became a way for her to have something she could own and read...a possession in times when they could not be purchased because of poverty. It probably gave her a sense of challenge.
Hans was surprised by the title but because she wanted to be read to after her bad dreams he began reading it to her and later taught her to read.
The Mayor's wife liked Liesel probably for her courage and love of books. She was lonely and loved having Liesel come to read at her home. When Liesel didn't come anymore because she was angry...she still allowed her to come through the window. A friendship and love had formed here. Later she and the Mayor (if I took the book correctly) raised Liesel after Papa and Mama died.
Her book saved her life because she was down in the basement writing when the street was bombed.

Cheryl said...

I think she was intrigued and needed a distraction when she saw the first book. Of course it became something she was able to share with Hans.
I think that like most of us, as she began to read she realized the worlds that were opened up to her.
I think the mayor's wife must have had a very lonely life. With how much she loved reading I am sure she saw a lot of herself in Liesel and wanted to encourage her. I think she understood the pride that Liesel was feeling about accepting that book after they had to stop sending their laundry to them and so she wanted to be able to give Liesel books while letting Liesel think she was stealing them.

Seth and Julie said...

I agree that it was a distraction and also a memento to remind her of her brother. I loved that they mayor's wife helped her steal books. It made me relate to her because I love when kids love books, or when anyone loves books really. I love how much Hans loved Liesel and how he just decided to read the book with her instead of making any fuss about it. He was so tuned in to her needs and so good at helping her heal and move forward.