Abandonment is a central theme in the novel. The reader knows that Liesel feels abandoned by her mother and by the death of her brother. How does she equate love with abandonment? At what point does she understand why she was abandoned by her mother? Who else abandons Liesel in the novel? Was she abandoned by circumstance or by the heart?
3 comments:
Her brother died and her mother left her to go live with the Hubermans. I think she must have felt that everyone she loved left her. Later, as she found out more about the war I think she understood her mother left her with a family who could take care of her better than she could and I also felt maybe the mother was being sent to a camp.
Because of circumstances of war the others that she loved (Hans, Papa, Moma, and the lady she read to died and she was left alone again.
I don't believe that Liesel was ever abandoned by the heart except for maybe her father. I never really got a good idea of what happened to him (unless I am forgetting something or missed something)
Her mother obviously had something big to deal with and did what she thought was best for her children. Her brother was an accident.
Hans, Rudy, Mama, and all of her other neighbors did not make the choice.
Max left but he did it for his and their safety.
I don't think anyone wanted toleave her but in some ways that made it more heart breaking. Even death described her as the one who kept getting left behind or soemthing like that.
Post a Comment