Saturday, July 2, 2011

Foreshadowing

How does Zusak use the literary device of foreshadowing to pull the reader into the story?

4 comments:

The Kings said...

He uses foreshadowing to give little hints at what is going to happen in the future...to keep one interested in finding out what happens.

Cheryl said...

I think it also prepares you a little for what happens. Of course, through my tears, I said to Doug that I knew Rudy was going to die because of the foreshadowing but I didn't expect how it happened.

Cheryl said...

I was also going to mention that I thought that he did foreshadowing perfectly because it gave enough info to get you interested and wondering but not so much that it gave everything away.

Seth and Julie said...

I don't even know if I would call it foreshadowing. It was a lot less subtle than that. He bascially just gave previews here and there. I liked not having Rudy's death and other traumatic events just spring on me, but it also created tension as I watched Liesel interract with and love these people all while knowing she would lose then and wondering when. It was defintitely an interesting way to tell the story.