Saturday, July 2, 2011

Beauty and Brutality

Liesel Meminger lived to be an old woman. Death says that he would like to tell the book thief about beauty and brutality, but those are things that she had lived. How does her life represent beauty in the wake of brutality? Discuss how Zusak's poetic writing style enhances the beauty of Liesel's story.

3 comments:

The Kings said...

She stayed good and kind and caring for others in spite of all the pain she had gone through. She loved when she could have hated. She obviously had love for others to raise a family and grandchildren.

Cheryl said...

I agree. I think for all of the people that lived through that time period and in those circumstances, their life was full of brutality. It was all around them and I think Liesel was one of those people that could also see the beauty in her life. She loved. It would be easy to shut down and stop loving people and things after going through all of that but she chose not to.

Seth and Julie said...

Brutality was in her face. Life was not easy for her, nor for anyone, but I think finding the beauty in life is so much of why we are here and if Liesel could do it then...