Sunday, June 19, 2011

School

Grandfather wishes to keep Heidi at home rather than send her to school because at home "she is safe and will learn nothing evil." What does he wish to protect her from? Is his caution justified?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I can certainly understand the Grandfather as I am worried about what Abi will be exposed to in Kindergarten next fall, but I also think that he should have sent her to school earlier.
If she hadn't ended up in Frankfurt she may never have learned to read and in turn Peter wouldn't have. I think in some ways the Grandfather was letting his experiences, fear, and pride make the decision rather than what would be best for Heidi.

The Kings said...

Grandfather feels that Heidi thrives with the goats and the birds and the beautiful outdoors...and fears that will will be harmed if she goes to school. He is probably fearful of what the townspeople will tell her about him. He is fearful of sending her down the mountain in the winter.

Seth and Julie said...

Oh believe me, I relate to the grandfather on this one. I do not love sending my kids to school and worrying about the things they are hearing and seeing. It is madness out there but we can't hide them from the world. We just have to teach them the best we can at home to arm them for what they face out there.