Saturday, May 16, 2009

Education

Although she remains "quaintly unsophisticated" throughout her life, Sarah's thirst for education fuels much of the plot. How does her education change her and those around her?

4 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I think it is awesome that she hungered for knowledge. The thought of losing any of her books to Jack was so heartbreaking to her.

She was able to influence her brother to get an education and even took the tests herself just for the sake of knowledge. I love when women aren't afraid to be smart.

Cheryl said...

I think it inspires them. I loved that reading and education were so vital to her. She always wanted to be her best.

The Kings said...

Her treasure chest was the wagon full of books that became her library of learning. She read and learned and was able to help her brother in his quest to go to school. She found out she was smart enough to also pass the entrance test. She was able to teach her children and others about things she learned.

CS Fenn said...

If you look at her childrens' lives compared to hers, their hardship was so much less. They all went to school, and they learned to work, shoot and ride, but not so much out of absolute necessity as it was for Sarah and her generation. The quality of their lives made a huge jump from one generation to the next.