Saturday, May 16, 2009

Religion

There are many references to religion and evidence that religious teaching, though very informal, influenced each person in the book. Sarah seems to have a practical approach to theology while Savannah remains deeply spiritual. How does this balance maintain each of them?

3 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I didn't think about religion too much in this book but I did like the few funny pokes at Mormons. Yes, I know how to laugh at myself.

The Kings said...

Savannah's Quaker background gave her deep spiritual roots which gave strength to Sarah and influenced her. Sarah, on the other hand, help Savannah with the more temporal strengths...like the Lady's Preventative! They both gave each other strenths in their special times of need.

CS Fenn said...

Savannah's religion was what she fell back on, and Sarah remained conscious of always trying to do what was right in the midst of her dangerous circumstances. The goodness of both of them is what gets them through.