Saturday, May 16, 2009

The title

I've been vocal on how much I hate the title of this book and how I put off reading it for years because of it. I only read it because it was a book club selection and ended up loving it. How did you feel about the title?

4 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I didn't want to be the first one to answer again this month so I waited but since no one has commented still, I will comment and hope it gets the ball rolling.

Cheryl, I agree with you. I know we already talked about this but I hated the title too. The only time she ever uses the word is instead of are is on the first page. She did work hard at her literacy and writing and the title gives the impression that the book will be written in a very different voice, not the one she worked hard to acquire.

Cheryl said...

Yeah sorry about that. I sometimes get the questions on here and forget I haven't answered them yet. Oops.

The Kings said...

I thought the title did not go at all with the story! It gave me the impression that it would be a totally different story subject. The book was very good...so why such a dumb title??

CS Fenn said...

I hated the title too. In my house, 'ain't' is a bad word, so you can imagine how this title grated my nerves. But then I picked up the book and I was in love! Now I just try to convince as many people as I can to read it, despite the dumb title.