Saturday, May 16, 2009

Jimmy

Why did Sarah marry Jimmy? If he had lived, could they have forged a better relationship from the remains of their marriage?

3 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I think Sarah was just doing what she thought was expected of her. She didn't love him...she longed for what Savannah and Albert had. But she was reading that stupid Happy Bride book and felt like this was her calling.

They could have made the marriage "work" but it never would have been a good marriage. When his dying words are to profess love to another woman you know he wouldn't have changed.

The Kings said...

I think she married him because she thought she knew him to be a good person (from being with the family in earlier days) and felt he was a good worker and would provide well for her and children they might have. He also professed that he cared for her.

I don't think their marriage would have lasted or been a happy one for even before Jimmy died he just wasn't treating her good and was always trying to be away from her. She wondered so often what was wrong and tried to make things right. He just didn't show her love.

CS Fenn said...

I don't know that she had a whole lot of other options, and Jimmy seemed like a safe bet. She yearned so much for what Albert & Savannah had, that I think she jumped at the first chance that seemed viable to her... I don't know if she ever thought of being with Jack because of her pre-conceived notion about soldiers (and her mom's view of them). Jimmy was just there at the right place (where they settled) and at the right time (when Jack was gone).