Saturday, May 16, 2009

Do you like Sarah?

Does Sarah fit your traditional definition of a "heroine"? What characteristics about her do you like or dislike?

6 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I did not like Sarah at first. She bugged me and I had a really hard time believing the text as a diary.

She grew on me though. I like that she was brave, and smart and unconventional. She knew who she was and she didn't care if that fit in with other's expectations.

Cheryl said...

I don't think so because the heroine of a novel isn't usually someone brandishing a gun and the protector of the family. I liked that about her.

The Kings said...

I think she fit it because she was so courageous and a spitfire and had to see and go through so much loss in her young days and later losing a child and then Jack. Many people would have given up or not had the strength to defend themselves and others. She had the skills and the backbone to do what needed to be done even though she experienced many really scary situations against really bad people, Indian attacks,sorrows, etc.

CS Fenn said...

I loved her right from the start! I loved that she wasn't a typical girl, crying over everything. She had a toughness and strength that I admired, and I would hope if I was in a rough situation like that that I wouldn't be a needy crybaby (but I probably would be). I loved that she was always seeking for learning and education, and how she was so smart with the way she handled her business. What a woman!

Mark and Callie said...

I loved her!!! the whole time i just kept thinking. "she is the woman!!!" This probably isn't even true, but i could totally see myself in her. I probably wouldn't have married Jimmy, but i hate crying and feeling sorry for myself. I would much rather get me a rifle and threaten anyone that was too shady for me.

For me she was the ultimate heroine because she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty, she stood up for what she knew was right, she valued knowledge, and she protected the people she cared about, and she let that sissy girl have it! (that was my favorite part!)

CS Fenn said...

Callie, get your gun! ;) You are similar in the way that you're very straightforward, no nonsense, don't whine and be a baby! I'm glad to know you're on my side if #$@% ever hits the fan! ;)
I'm glad you finally read the book!