Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Duchess of Warwick

What is the significance of Sarah's inerest in "The Duchess of Warwick and Her Sorrow by the Sea"?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I tried to come up with some poignant intellectual answer to this but all I can think is that it is because the description of the duchess was so different from anyone she had ever known and what her life was like.
I think that intrigued her because there was a part of her that wanted more.

The Kings said...

I am not sure about that one...but because Jack wouldn't give the book back to Sarah when she wanted it so much kind of gave Jack a link with Sarah when she had other things going on in her life...and kept Sarah tied to him as long as he had the book she wanted back.

CS Fenn said...

I think the significance of "The Duchess of Warwick and Her Sorrow by the Sea" is that Sarah kind of became that story, except by the land. It's ironic that she yearned so much to know what that story was about, while her own life was full of sorrow, and she became a "fancy" kind of self-made woman. She had plenty of money, became educated, and had her secret little soap business to add mystery in there! Didn't Jack give her a red cloak or something too? So I think it was used for irony that that book was what kept part of her heart with Jack, and yet it became her own story.