Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Revenge

Western literature begins with the Iliad, a tale of revenge. It continues with the Odyssey, which ends in massive revenge as well. the theme remained popular through medieval romance and epic, Elizabethan drama, and the novel, from its inception to the latest potboiler. Count of Monte Cristo is also based on this theme. Why is this plot so popular? Is the avenger, in this case Edmond Dantes, a stand-in for the reader, in whose mind Dantes avenges the slights and injuries we all suffer? If you hit the lottery for $100 million would you avenge yourself against those who have harmed you? Or would having all that money be its own revenge?

2 comments:

The Kings said...

Those who had harmed so many needed to have their crimes paid for and Edward was able to do that and restore to many good people what they had lost. I think it makes us all feel better to see justice measured out. Having all that money would be my own revenge...but I am glad Edward used his money and knowledge to cause the "ball to roll" in order to avenge those who had been wronged.

Cheryl said...

I actually am okay with the revenge in the book but when I re watched the movie afterward I really liked how he didn't go the revenge route in it.