Saturday, July 2, 2011

Words

They state words have the power to both destroy and save lives. Discuss.

3 comments:

The Kings said...

Hitler's words took control of people and brought them hate for others. Others words, like Papa's, brought love and comfort. Other's, like Mama's, were ones that brought anger and humiliation...although on getting to know her better they were rough terms of endearment.

Cheryl said...

They really do. Like you said Mom Hitler used his words to bring people to a level of hatred where they would see nothing wrong with slaughtering innocent people.
A comforting and loving word can make someone feel peaceful.
I really believe we have to be careful what we say and how we use our words.

Seth and Julie said...

Okay so everyone knows that I am the biggest word nerd ever so I totally subscribe to the power of words. They are beautiful because they give us the power to define our human experience (or at least try to). They save lives in so many ways. How many times have someone else's words made your day or helped you realize your own self worth? And then on the flip side, how may times have they cut you down? Words can pull us through difficult times or help us relate to worlds we might not otherwise understand. I loved that words and books were so valuable to Liesel because I often feel like people in general do not fully value words and appreciate their weight. And of course, words quite literally saved her life as she wrote in the basement, although I suspect writing had already saved her many times at that point. There is no better way to purge the difficulties of life and put them into perspective than to write them down. I would need volumes to say all that I feel on this matter, but you get the point. Words are BIG, even little words.