Thursday, September 6, 2012

Opinion

In her Introduction to this Modern Library edition, Anne Perry asks, “What is there in The Woman in White that transcends the change in culture from 1860 to the present, and beyond?” How would you answer this question?

3 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

Oh I am such a slacker! I read this about a year or two ago for the first time but meant to reread it for book club so it would be fresh in my mind. I do remember that for being on all the best books ever written lists I was not that big a fan. I did re-read The Scarlett Letter this summer but haven't managed to get to those questions yet either. One of these days....

The Kings said...

I might be wrong but here goes: Deep and true love that transcends tremendous difficulty, people who are so selfish and evil that they care nothing about another person's life and will do whatever they choose in order to get what they want, and greed and lies to obtain financial gain and to cover up who they realy are.

Cheryl said...

I think it does transcend culture because it felt new. It was suspenseful and well written and there were times when I thought it could have been written today. (not many classics feel that way to me- Dracula is another one that does)