Saturday, March 3, 2012

Quotes

This novel is full of beautiful prose and descriptions. What are some of your favorite excerpts?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

I loved the first chapter when he talked about the land and how it changed with the seasons. I felt like I was there and it was so beautifully written that it gave me chills.

I also really liked the discussion "timshel"..."thou mayest".

Seth and Julie said...

Oh my gosh! So many!!! I have quoted and written about this book many times and I could probably give you a quote a day for a year, complete with an essay but I will limit it to just a few and try to pick ones I have not already quoted here or on my own blog over the years. But, I will have to get to that later because I have to go to viola and then TKD and I have been sitting here typing for way too long.

Cheryl said...

I know. Probably too many to mention. I love the whole part about 'timshel'. That philosophy is really what it's all about.
Our entire belief system really seems to center around agency and so I really enjoyed that part.

I also put some of my favorite quotes on my blog last year and they are still my favorite!

"Sometimes a kind of glory lights up the mind of a man. It happens to nearly everyone. You can feel it growing or preparing like a fuse burning toward dynamite. It is a feeling in the stomach, a delight of the nerves, of the forearms. The skin tastes the air, and every deep drawn breath is sweet. Its beginning has the pleasure of a great stretching yawn; it flashes in the brain and the whole world glows outside your eyes. A man may have lived all of his life in the gray , and the land and the trees of him dark and somber. The events, even the important ones, may have trooped by faceless and pale. And then- the glory- so that a cricket song sweetens his ears, the smell of the earth rises chanting to his nose, and dappling light under a tree blesses his eyes. Then a man pours outward, a torrent of him and yet he is not diminished. And I guess a man's importance in the world can be measured by the quality and number of his glories. It is a lonely thing but it relates us to the world. It is the mother of all creativeness, and it sets each man separate from all other men."