I thought the characters were very true to life. My favorites were Samuel, Lee, Adam, and Cal. I really liked Abra, too. I detested Katie...and really didn't care that much for Charles.
So true to life. I think the characters in this book breathe off the page more than any others I have ever read. There is so much that is relatable in each of them, even the bad qualities they possess, which makes it more uncomfortable but so much more tangible.
Favorites? I love Lee. So much there that is wise and quotable and admirable. I love Samuel. But my favorite is Cal. He is the most real. I think we can all identify with the inner struggle between good and evil that he faces. I can also relate to the good and bad in other characters but most of them intentionally personify either good or evil where Cal is like all of us, he had the potential for both.
I had a friend once who hated Cal and said he destroyed Aron. I argued with him that Cal is the one that is the most truly human and that he was responsible for his choices but that Aron was responsible for his own choices too. Cal could have also played the blame game and blamed his mom, dad or Aron for his anger and behavior but he did not. Cal was the point of the whole story. I was happy to later find this quote from Steinbeck, “As you are becoming aware, I hope-Cal is my baby. He is the Everyman, the battleground between good and evil, the most human of all, the sorry man.”
So Cal is my runaway favorite and of course I hate Kate but that is obviously the point. She is intentionally extreme to show the depths of the evil we are capable of.
I thought they were very true to life too. I think we all pretty much share the same favorite characters. My two most favorite are Lee and Cal. I loved Lee's wisdom and humility. I loved Cal's spirit. I mentioned it on my blog when I first read this book last year that there was just something about him praying that he would be good that was just so heart wrenching to me. I think we all understand that. We want to be good. But to most people being 100% good doesn't come naturally. I know I have had those Cal moments where I prayed that I could be better.
We are a group of sisters, mothers, daughters, cousins, aunts, grandmothers, and friends coming together because of our shared love of reading.
Annegirl
Favorite books are the Anne series and Emily series by L.M Montgomery, the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, Timeline and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton,just about everything by Shannon Hale (especially Goose Girl and Book of A Thousand Days), the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, the Hunger Games trilogy and Gregor series by Suzanne Collins, the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, and Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. I add to my favorites list all the time!
Bookworm
Favorite books include Gone With the Wind, the Harry Potter series, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Hunt for Red October, The Patriarch (George Washington), Those Who Love, and The Presidents Lady
Stampin_Maniac
Favorite books are the Twilight series, any by Mary Higgins Clark, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, autobiographies, and The Work and the Glory series.
Julie
Favorite books include...East of Eden and all other John Steinbeck works, 1984, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, Rebecca, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Memoirs of a Geisha, Charlotte's Web (and lots of other children's fiction novels)
Holly
Favorite books include Emma, the Harry Potter series, The Little Prince, Taming of the Shrew, Ender's Game, To Kill a Mockingbird, the Twilight series, A Christmas Carol, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Help, The Hunger Games, The Screwtape Letters, OPJB, and all of Bill Peet's children's books.
Deenie Bug
Favorite books are The Quicksilver Pool, Jane Eyre, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Moonraker's Bride, Window on the Square, The Secret Garden, Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings, and Agatha Christie books.
Wendy
Favorite books are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Oh the places you'll go, 1776, Little Women, Persuasion, The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, Little House, Christy, and A Lantern in her hand
BreeAnn
Favorite books are To Kill A Mockingbird, Little House on the Prairie, The Notebook, Twilight series, Jane Eyre, Little Women, The Work and the Glory series, anything by Mary Higgins Clark, and A child called it.
Sanya the Duck
Favorite books are Pride and Prejudice, The Good Earth, The Count of Monte Cristo, Harry Potter series, Twilight series, Anne of Green Gables, These is my Words, The Chronicles of Narnia, the Work and the Glory series, and The Kingdom and the Crown series.
Keddy-Weddy
G-Mama
Favorite books are Matilda, Pride and Prejudice, Rebecca, The Hiding Place, The Outsiders, Dealing with Dragons series, Twilight series, The Lord of the Rings series, The Thirteenth Tale, and Emily of New Moon
Stephanie
Favorite books include The Twilight series
Mel
Hare_Bear
Favorite books are the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series
3 comments:
I thought the characters were very true to life. My favorites were Samuel, Lee, Adam, and Cal. I really liked Abra, too. I detested Katie...and really didn't care that much for Charles.
So true to life. I think the characters in this book breathe off the page more than any others I have ever read. There is so much that is relatable in each of them, even the bad qualities they possess, which makes it more uncomfortable but so much more tangible.
Favorites? I love Lee. So much there that is wise and quotable and admirable. I love Samuel. But my favorite is Cal. He is the most real. I think we can all identify with the inner struggle between good and evil that he faces. I can also relate to the good and bad in other characters but most of them intentionally personify either good or evil where Cal is like all of us, he had the potential for both.
I had a friend once who hated Cal and said he destroyed Aron. I argued with him that Cal is the one that is the most truly human and that he was responsible for his choices but that Aron was responsible for his own choices too. Cal could have also played the blame game and blamed his mom, dad or Aron for his anger and behavior but he did not. Cal was the point of the whole story. I was happy to later find this quote from Steinbeck, “As you are becoming aware, I hope-Cal is my baby. He is the Everyman, the battleground between good and evil, the most human of all, the sorry man.”
So Cal is my runaway favorite and of course I hate Kate but that is obviously the point. She is intentionally extreme to show the depths of the evil we are capable of.
I thought they were very true to life too.
I think we all pretty much share the same favorite characters.
My two most favorite are Lee and Cal. I loved Lee's wisdom and humility. I loved Cal's spirit. I mentioned it on my blog when I first read this book last year that there was just something about him praying that he would be good that was just so heart wrenching to me. I think we all understand that. We want to be good.
But to most people being 100% good doesn't come naturally. I know I have had those Cal moments where I prayed that I could be better.
Post a Comment