Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cal and the end

The end of the novel and the future of the Trasks seems to rest with Cal, the son least liked and least understood by his father and the town. What does Cal come to understand about his relationship to his past and to each member of his family? The last scene between Adam and Cal is momentous; what exactly happens between them, and how hopeful a note is this profound ending? Why is Lee trying to force Cal to overturn the assumption that lives are "all inherited"? What do you think Cal's future will be?

3 comments:

The Kings said...

That even though he made some wrong decisions that he could change.
With the ending scene of Lee asking Adam to please forgive Cal he can't talk but lifts his hand. I took that to mean that he forgave him and also asked for his forgiveness.
Cal needed to know that even though his mother was so bad that that wasn't inherited and that he could chose to be who he wanted to be...his mother wasn't "in" him. I think his future with Abra will be happy and that they will work the ranch together. I wish the story had gone on a little more to let us know what happened.

Seth and Julie said...

Best ending ever! I know what you mean about wanting more because I love Cal and would love to see him overcome but it had to end here or it would have lost some of its power. Timshel. Forgiveness has been extended from his father and he has left the power to choose in Cal’s hands. Cal knows he is responsible for his own life and can choose good or evil. I personally believe he chose good, although always had to battle both sides, as we all do. BUT if Steinbeck had spelled it out for us it would have written good or evil in stone and it is not. It had to end with thou mayest…anything is possible. A clean slate.

Cheryl said...

I agree that I would love more and also that it was the best end.
I said that when I finished it the first time- that it was the best ending line ever. Because of the background we had been given about Timshel, we knew exactly what he meant and what Steinbeck was implying from that one word.