Friday, September 9, 2011

September 2011: What are you reading?

If you have chosen to skip Water for Elephants this month what are you reading instead? Tell us what you have read this month and what you thought of it!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I decided to skip right on to The Help. I finished it a few days ago and loved it. So, I'm excited to read that next month!
I'll update if I read anything else in the next couple of weeks which I am sure I will.

Seth and Julie said...

I read the Help a month or so ago and enjoyed it too. I almost skipped it because it was hyped up right alongside Water for Elephants and that failed to impress. Anyway, I was disappointed when church book club was canceled and I am excited to discuss it in here.

This month I have read your fave, Anne of Green gable (since I hadn't since I was little). I read The Hiding Place, which I loved and it greatly strengthened my faith. I also read Steinbeck: A Life in Letters. 900 pages of letters he wrote to friends and family. So personal and so amazing. Maybe not to everyone but it was for me since you know I have a real obsession with that man. Then I read Travels with Charley, also Steinbeck, also blew my mind. This year my goal was to read any Steinbeck that I had not yet read and I am almost done and actually super sad about it but they are all re-read often and never get old to me. And now I am about to start on The Forgotten Garden which Kennon loaned to me. Super busy reading month for me.

Cheryl said...

Wow! Julie you have been busy!
I love the Hiding Place. That is a great book and very touching.

Seth and Julie said...

Cheryl, Now that the kids are in school and go to bed early I have more time to read, and then when Seth travels I have from 7:00PM until I fall asleep with nothing else to do. I did read half the Letters book in August though before my family came and finsihed it in September.

The Kings said...

I chose to read the fourth volumne of Fablehaven for September and just finished it yesterday, Sunday, October 2nd. I was able to sleep in at the Inn and then lay in bed and read...a luxury I don't often have. But after running the marathon the morning before I deserved it, right?!!! (And we had time before breakfast and packing to head home!)
Anyway, I love those books...they are so fun to read! And ones I am not ashamed to read or hesitate to read! It was an exciting trip to the Dragon Temple. With all the life-threatening experiences it was really nice (?) that only one man died. But my dissappointment was Gavin...and I won't say more in case someone else wants to read it!