Friday, September 9, 2011

September 2011: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen



As you all know from the email I sent around I will not have discussion questions up for this book. If you have read it or read part of it feel free to discuss in the comments.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I will be the first and say that I got pretty far into the book and then I kind of skimmed. I decided to actually read the last few chapters to see how it wrapped up and was surprised that the end wasn't nearly as graphic as the beginning.
For me, I found that it was an interesting concept but not the most exciting book in the world.
I also really hate gratuitous sex. And I felt like this book was full of it. Things that happened could have been portrayed without us needing to know every detail and it felt, sometimes, like she wanted to add a little bit of that to everything.
My favorite thing about the book was actually the idea of the main character as an old man remembering his life.

Seth and Julie said...

I read it months ago after everyone raved but I was completely underwhelmed. I also don't appreciate graphic sex. A really good writer can convey the whole story without having to give you every detail and when I read stuff like that it feels forced, or like they are trying to prove they are modern and will say whatever they want, which they can, but it added nothing. I also liked best the parts of him as an old man. It almost could have had a Notebook type feel (have you seen/read that?) but she missed the mark. For me at least.

Cheryl said...

Exactly Julie. I sometimes wondered if because she was writing from the viewpoint of a man that she tried too hard to add that stuff thinking that is what a man would do or something. It did feel forced and took me away from the story.
I haven't read the Notebook but I love the movie and own it.

The Kings said...

Gross...gross....gross! That is all I can say about that book and the 3 1/2 chapters I read before chucking it in the garbage! Not your fault, Cheryl...I had heard it was so good, too! I think I will not trust the reviews those ladies give in the future!

Seth and Julie said...

Cheryl, The Notebook movie was better than the book. That is the ONLY movie I have ever liked better than the book. The chemistry between Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling made that movie. I was even sad when they broke up in real life because they were adorable!