Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tough Love

Randy credits his professor Andy Van Dam, in chapter 14, with telling him the tough-love things he needed to hear. What was it about Dr. Van Dam's delivery and message that resonated with Randy? Who in your own life has told you things about yourself that made you reconsider your actions or behavior?

2 comments:

The Kings said...

Presentation has alot to do with how one takes what is taught and told. He was chastized but with a positive note that caused Randy to think about how he was acting and coming across to others. I have had my parents and my husband tell me things. Sometimes the hardest is yourself telling you things you need to change.

Cheryl said...

I agree with you mom. I think there is tough love and there is mean love that people think is tough love. I have had people tell me things before and when I felt bad about them I was told I needed to get thicker skin. I don't think that is a good thing.
But then there have been other people that have been able to tell me things that I was able to then work on.
However, I struggle in this department. I have authority issues and sometimes having somebody else point something bad out makes me want to keep doing it so I can "show them".
That's a bad part of my personality for sure.