Randy says parents don't realize the power of their words: "Depending on a child's age and sense of self, an offhand comment from Mom or Dad can feel like a shove from a bulldozer." Did you ever feel that way as a child? If you're a parent, do you recognize the strength and impact that your words have?
2 comments:
Yes! We sometimes don't realize the impact of words or phrases or labels. My parents with the best of intentions always expected us to set the "right" example and to do our best always. That puts a lot of pressure on a child to be "perfect". I am sure I have said things to my kids in disciplining or quick anger that were hurtful and not kind. I am sorry. Positive encouragement (with discipline sometimes required)is so important.
Oh yeah. I think we have all been told something or called something in jest or without our parents knowing how it affected us.
When I was reading this in the book it made me take a hard look at how I parent. I think I'm pretty good about it because I compliment my children a lot, I'm very supportive of them, and I am open with how much I love them and believe in them but.... I can also get really upset and lose my temper and I see that happening to Abi sometimes now.
Then I started thinking about how I kept calling Maddy a troublemaker. I was kidding around because she gets into everything all day long and then I thought- Woh! WHat if that catches on and we start calling her that. She might grow up to think of herself that way. I don't want that so I am trying not to say things like that to either kid now.
It is really good to be aware of those things.
Post a Comment