Friday, July 3, 2009

Quarry-speak

What did you think of "quarry speaking"?

2 comments:

The Kings said...

It worked well for the story but I am not sure how it worked...I guess it would definately be positive thinking in a very deep way!

CS Fenn said...

I think it's very interesting that the two books we've read so far by Shannon Hale both have to do with a different kind of communication. In Goose Girl, she could speak to the animals, and in this book, the communication is done through rock, the thing everyone in Miri's community has in common. It's an interesting concept. I think it is possible to grow so close to something, or so familiar with the way a thing or person responds (usually a person, but I guess it could be an animal or whatever) that you could gain an intuition where oral communication almost isn't necessary. I think she's taking that concept and trying to tap into it and decode it. I'm curious to see if her other books have these similar themes.