Friday, July 3, 2009

The Hawk

Miri treasures the carved linder hawk that Peder gave her when they were small. In a fateful twist, it helps her escape from the bandit Dan, though she loses it as it falls down the mountain. What do you think the hawk means to Miri, and to Peder?
What do you think is the symbolic significance of the hawk?

2 comments:

The Kings said...

I think the hawk meant a remembrance to Miri of Peder...that he cared about her and that he left a token of his feelings. To Peder I think he hoped that Miri would remember him and not chose the Prince. I am not sure of the symbolic significance but perhaps it meant to be strong and fight for freedom.

CS Fenn said...

I agree that the hawk meant a lot to Miri because it showed Peder was thinking of her and cared for her. Peder mentioned that Miri was like a hawk, watching all the things going on from the hill... I think his idea in giving it to her was a hope that she would be able to step back from her situation and see through all the big dreams and hopes of becoming a princess, that what she really wanted and cared for was right there.