Friday, April 17, 2009

The Secret Garden

Which narrative features were employed by the author to make The Secret Garden speak to children? Why do you think this novel appeals to an adult audience as well? What makes it a classic?

6 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I read this as a child and it never occurred to me that it wasn't a kids book.

Now as I reread it I realized that it has many different levels and that my life experiences cause me to relate to it differently.

As a child I loved it because of the mystery surrounding the mansion and the manor. What kid isn't lured in by secrets and mystery? It was not hard to read then because you were looking through a child's eyes. I did notice that she defines a word once in parentheses which of course would be for a younger reader.

I think this still appeals to an adult audience because of the way it explores human nature and parallels it with mother nature.

I think it is a classic because it is well written and it speaks to people and awakens and empowers the reader.

Was that answer long enough???

sanya said...

I just had to say thanks to whoever picked this book, because I absolutely LOVED reading it! I somehow skipped over it as a kid, but I don't mind because I can have a deeper understanding & appreciation now. So thanks - was it Julie that recommended it? I don't see your bio on the sidebar, unless you have a secret code name! ;)

Seth and Julie said...

I didn't pick the book...I am actually new to the club. I keep forgetting to send my bio to Cheryl.

sanya said...

Welcome to the group! I have really enjoyed all of your comments, and I'll keep looking for your bio!

Cheryl said...

I think that was why I hadn't read it... I missed it as a kid and it just seemed like a kid's book. I now love re-reading kids books so I was excited to read it. As I read it I felt like it easily translated to adults. I loved it.

The Kings said...

I think it appeals to children because it is about children and talks as they would and about feelings they have and employs mystery, animals, gardens, etc. that would appeal to a child. But what is amazing is how these same things appeal to adults in the way in which it is written. I loved this book. It is my first time to read it and I have had the book for several years...so I am very grateful that it was one of our picks for this past year!! I love the movie version of it done by Hallmark. It is very close to the book which is great but adds a bit more at the end that is not in the book...and being the romantic that I am I loved the addition!