Friday, April 17, 2009

Mrs. Sowerby

Of all the adult characters in the novel only Mrs. Sowerby, the mother of Dickon and Martha, seems to know what Mary and Colin really need. Why? what experience does Mrs. Sowerby have that other grown-ups in the story lack?

3 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

She is a momma!

No one knows what a child needs like a mom that is actively involved in raising her babies.

It amazed me how from the very beginning I just instinctually knew what my babies needed. Not even a dad can do that like a mom can. My husband sometimes asks me what the kids want/need and I somehow know. I love that!

Cheryl said...

I agree 100% with Julie. She's a mom of many healthy happy kids so she is an expert on how to help them.

The Kings said...

She was a mother that loved her children and nurtured them. She was a very good woman and a woman with a lot of insight to allow the wonderful attributes of her children to shine. She was instinctive to the needs of her children and so it was easy for her to see what Mary and Colin had missed in life and needed so badly. She loved, listened, and was observant to those around her.