Friday, April 17, 2009

Disliking oneself

Early in the novel, when the servant girl Martha asks Mary if she likes herself, Mary answers , no, she doesn't. Do you think Mary still dislikes herself by the end of the novel? Why or why not?

4 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I think Mary learns who she is, and in so doing learns to like herself.

At the beginning she is described as ugly and later compared to her beautiful mother. How we feel about ourselves is often reflected in our very countenance.

sanya said...

No, I don't think she dislikes herself at the end. I think she realizes that she has the power to change from the bratty girl she was to an interesting girl who suddenly found a direction for her life. She found her purpose, and as she is instrumental in helping Colin get better, of course she feels wonderful about that.

Cheryl said...

I agree. She has gained friends, interests, and a purpose by the end of the novel and this has helped her to like who she has become.

The Kings said...

She did not dislike herself anymore because she had found purpose, love, healthier emotions, and physicla health and had found a purpose and was able to begin nurturing as well as being nurtured. She found that she was not ugly and that others loved her and that she could love and help others.