After the meteor strikes the moon, services such as telephone, Internet, and television
stop, and Miranda writes in her journal that “Civilization has ended.” Do you think
people are too dependent on electronic gadgets? Would you feel as Miranda does if you
could no longer use the gadgets many people have come to depend on in their daily lives?
How would you handle this situation?
2 comments:
Yes. I check my email at least twice a day, facebook at least twice a day, etc... and now that I have the iphone it is probably more because it is so easy to get on these sites and others like pinterest.
While i enjoy it, it is something that I almost feel compelled to do sometimes so I don't 'miss' anything.
There is something nice about those days when you step away and just live in the moment the way it was not very long ago.
In a situation like this book though it would be so hard to not have any way of reaching out or finding out what was going on.
We do depend on communication devices so much. I remember in Chicago a few years ago that we (Cheryl, the girls, and I) and Stephanie got separated driving separate cars and because of the cell phone we were able to communicate and catch up with one another again...which was so helpful to Stephanie being in a unfamiliar city. It would be so hard to not be able to communicate and know what is going on in your own city, state, and country in a disaster...to even know if others were alive and where to get help. Perhaps it would be good, though, for all of us to take a step back and put away our iphones for awhile each day. People now days can't seem to even get away at all from constant communications...kind of like an "umbilical cord" to technology and everybody.
Post a Comment