Hawthorne came from a long line of Puritans (one of his fore-fathers was a judge during the Salem witch trials), and Puritan beliefs about subjects like guilt, repression, original sin, and discipline inform the book on every level. What is your impression of how the Puritan worldview is taken up and treated by Hawthorne in
The Scarlet Letter?
2 comments:
I felt that he showed how Puritan beliefs, although good at times and I believe meant to keep a person "in line", were very harse and judgemental and Hawthorne tried to convey this through his story. He wrote in so many words that those who judged were often more sinful than the ones they judged.
I agree. He showed that they were so quick to blame others for things. I can't even imagine what it would have been like to live then- or during the witch trials.
Post a Comment