Thursday, July 12, 2012

the intro

Kathryn Harrison, in her introduction to this volume, asserts that Hester Prynne can be seen in many ways as the first great modern heroine in American literature. Do you agree?

2 comments:

The Kings said...

I think she could be seen in that light as a heroine is a woman who is brave and good. Although she made a mistake and had a child (a visable manifestation of her "mistake") she bravely kept "the secret" (which I don't think she ever should have been expected to do by herself), bravely bore the treatment and punishment of others, and raised her little girl in a loving and good manner in spite of the many obstacles.

Cheryl said...

I think so. She was brave and strong enough to deal with what she had to deal with without ever giving away the father. She dealt with a lot.