Thursday, July 12, 2012

Roger

Describe and discuss the character of Roger Chillingworth in the novel. What does he represent in terms of the larger themes explored by the book?

2 comments:

The Kings said...

He felt betrayed by Hester because he was her husband. I believe there was good and bad in him. He helped Hester when she and the baby were so sick in prison when he could have just ignored her situation. I think later he became obssessive in how he hounded Dimmesdale...but I think he was also trying to get the Preacher to own up to his mistake and bear the guile and burden of what had happened to Hester. He was able to deduce that Dimmesdale was the father by being his doctor and knowing something was plaguing him and finally getting the "confession". I think his motives after a time became selfish in that he wanted the Preacher to pay for his part and was going to expose him.

Cheryl said...

I think he was an interesting character. He didn't seem to start out as a bad guy but not really an overly nice one either.
But his obsession overtook him and turned him more and more dark.