Jane comes to wonder what kind of fantasy world Jane Austen might have created for herself: "Did Austen herself feel this way? Was she hopeful? Jane wondered if the unmarried writer had lived inside Austenland with close to Jane's own sensibility- amused, horrified, but in very real danger of being swept away". Is it possible to guess at Austen's attitude toward romance by reading her work? Why or why not?
2 comments:
I don't think she could have written the romances she did if she didn't have that romantic sensibility but then obviously there were things that were more important to her. She wasn't willing to give up everything for love I suppose.
Maybe her stories were her fantasies, her imagination of what her life could be like, put to paper.
I think that she felt love in a very real sense and expressed that in her books. She also watched people and the attitudes and actions of people of her day and put that on paper. There is indication that she had a romance but it did not work out for her. She knew that happy and the sad of romance.
Post a Comment