Monday, April 30, 2012

13 boyfrien

Austenland, besides chronicling Janes' stay at Pembrook Park, lists all thirteen "boyfriends" she's had in her lifetime. How well does the reader get to know Jane's past? How much has she changed from her first relationship at age twelve to the one that is now just beginning?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I felt like she might be one of those girls that has to have a man all the time and can't be alone. I wouldn't consider most of the guys she described as 'boyfriends' but more like crushes.
It seemed like in almost every instance she was kind of needy with it.
However, it did give a good insight into her relationship history to see where she was now.

The Kings said...

I am not sure she changed all that much in her continuing search for a boyfriend. It seems like every boyfriend that came along was the real thing until she found out what he was really like. She did seem to want to have a guy around until he left or she decided to dump him for good reasons. I think she was still trying to find "Mr. Darcy" even though she felt she needed to get out of that fantasy.