Monday, April 30, 2012

I&I

Jane calls herself and Mr. Nobley "Impertinence and Inflexibility" How do these nicknames originate? How do these traits compare to the pride and prejudice of Darcy and Elizabeth in Austen's novel?

1 comments:

The Kings said...

(p.133) Mr. Nobley was asking Jane (Miss Erstwhile) to stay away from Martin. She asked why he cared but said she would if he would perform in the theatrical. She thought it would be fun to see him uncomfortable and appearing the fool. It just did not seem amusing to him. And he felt they should consider the sentiments of their hostess. She said that if the hostess approved would he do it and he said he would and called her " infuriatingly persistent" and she said he was "annoyingly stubborn"...and that is how Impertinence and Inflexibility came about. In "Pride and Prejudice" Mr. Darcy had a great deal of pride and Elizabeth Bennet was prejudice against him with out all the facts. I think there was a little of both in each of them as there was in Mr. Nobley and Miss Erstwhile.