Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Malevolant Force

William Dean Howells wrote that "a weird malevolance broods over the gloomy drama, and through all plays a force truly demoniacal." Numerous experienced readers have testified to a similar apprehension. How does Emily Bronte create this sense or feeling of a malevolent force?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Honestly, I didn't feel that way so I'm not sure. I felt that a little about Heathcliff because he does become so ruthless but I felt like Cathy's brother was worse. He was mean right from the start and the threats of violence toward his child and his drunkeness were more startling to me than the other characters actions.

The Kings said...

I totally agree! Heathcliff became so mean and demoralizing to his son, Lindon, and others...but Hareton's father was absolutely cruel to him and to those around him. He was that way from the beginning in the way he treated Healthcliff and others. While his wife was alive he was better but never a good man.