Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Location

Virginia Woolf doubted that the setting in Wuthering Heights determined the action. What do you think? Do you agree with her? What do you see the relationship between Wuthering Heights the place and Wuthering Heights the book?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I disagree. While this story could have taken place in other areas, the Moors really have a mysterious and dark feeling to them in any book I've read. I know that is where Bronte grew up and was always pulled back to. I'm sure she felt that darkness there.

The Kings said...

The location definately influenced the story. The setting of the moors was so in line with the climate and feel of the story and with the characters. It wouldn't have had the same effect if the location and scenry and weather were bright and cheerful and flowery, etc. Maybe the characters had seasonal depression??