Discuss race issues in this book. Why does Calpurnia speak differently around other black people? Why does Mr. Raymond pretend he is drunk to help people cope with his mixed marriage?
I think people just do what they are used and what doesn't cause waves.
Calpurnia and Mr. Raymond are like most people. They adapted to the situations they were in.
I love that Dolphus Raymond married who he wanted but I wish he had just owned it. He could have made a difference if he had but it would have also brought trial and heartache to his family so I understand why he didn't do it.
That is another thing that is said a couple times about Atticus. He is the same in the streets as he is in his home, or something like that.
I agree with everything Julie said. I think it really showcased what the differences in races was at that time. I do have to admit that I had a hard time with the relentless use of the 'n' word because I HATE that word no matter who is saying it and in what context but I understand that she used it as part of the environment of the story.
Calpurnia talked the way that white folk talked when she was around the Finch's and others because she was a smart and somewhat educated woman. Around her people she talked the way they talked because she knew that they would be uncomfortable if she talked another way. This made them feel more comfortable around her and they still felt she was one of them, too. Mr. Raymond let people think he was drunk because he felt it would be easier for them to think he hung around and married and had children by a black woman because he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing!
I think we all do exactly the same thing. We talk differently to some people than we do to others. If i can boast a little bit, i think i have a pretty good vocabulary. When i am in an academic or work environment i use different language than i do when i am with my friends or family. The reason being, it is appropriate in some situations and not in others. If I were to use the vocabulary i use when i'm in class or writing a research paper with my friends, I wouldn't have friends for very long. It would be offensive for me to do so, because my friends would think I'm trying to show off or that i think I'm better than them.
I also think that we act certain ways depending on who is watching us.
I think Mr. Raymond acted like a drunk so he would not become hateful and bitter to the people in Maycomb (the way they were to him). What I mean is, he could understand people hating him or not approving of him based on his drunkenness. But he couldn't understand why they would hate him for choosing a black woman that he loved. He was giving them an excuse to hate him so he wouldn't have to hate them back. Does that make sense?
We are a group of sisters, mothers, daughters, cousins, aunts, grandmothers, and friends coming together because of our shared love of reading.
Annegirl
Favorite books are the Anne series and Emily series by L.M Montgomery, the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, Timeline and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton,just about everything by Shannon Hale (especially Goose Girl and Book of A Thousand Days), the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, the Hunger Games trilogy and Gregor series by Suzanne Collins, the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, and Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. I add to my favorites list all the time!
Bookworm
Favorite books include Gone With the Wind, the Harry Potter series, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Hunt for Red October, The Patriarch (George Washington), Those Who Love, and The Presidents Lady
Stampin_Maniac
Favorite books are the Twilight series, any by Mary Higgins Clark, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, autobiographies, and The Work and the Glory series.
Julie
Favorite books include...East of Eden and all other John Steinbeck works, 1984, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, Rebecca, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Memoirs of a Geisha, Charlotte's Web (and lots of other children's fiction novels)
Holly
Favorite books include Emma, the Harry Potter series, The Little Prince, Taming of the Shrew, Ender's Game, To Kill a Mockingbird, the Twilight series, A Christmas Carol, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Help, The Hunger Games, The Screwtape Letters, OPJB, and all of Bill Peet's children's books.
Deenie Bug
Favorite books are The Quicksilver Pool, Jane Eyre, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Moonraker's Bride, Window on the Square, The Secret Garden, Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings, and Agatha Christie books.
Wendy
Favorite books are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Oh the places you'll go, 1776, Little Women, Persuasion, The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, Little House, Christy, and A Lantern in her hand
BreeAnn
Favorite books are To Kill A Mockingbird, Little House on the Prairie, The Notebook, Twilight series, Jane Eyre, Little Women, The Work and the Glory series, anything by Mary Higgins Clark, and A child called it.
Sanya the Duck
Favorite books are Pride and Prejudice, The Good Earth, The Count of Monte Cristo, Harry Potter series, Twilight series, Anne of Green Gables, These is my Words, The Chronicles of Narnia, the Work and the Glory series, and The Kingdom and the Crown series.
Keddy-Weddy
G-Mama
Favorite books are Matilda, Pride and Prejudice, Rebecca, The Hiding Place, The Outsiders, Dealing with Dragons series, Twilight series, The Lord of the Rings series, The Thirteenth Tale, and Emily of New Moon
Stephanie
Favorite books include The Twilight series
Mel
Hare_Bear
Favorite books are the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series
5 comments:
I think people just do what they are used and what doesn't cause waves.
Calpurnia and Mr. Raymond are like most people. They adapted to the situations they were in.
I love that Dolphus Raymond married who he wanted but I wish he had just owned it. He could have made a difference if he had but it would have also brought trial and heartache to his family so I understand why he didn't do it.
That is another thing that is said a couple times about Atticus. He is the same in the streets as he is in his home, or something like that.
I agree with everything Julie said. I think it really showcased what the differences in races was at that time.
I do have to admit that I had a hard time with the relentless use of the 'n' word because I HATE that word no matter who is saying it and in what context but I understand that she used it as part of the environment of the story.
Calpurnia talked the way that white folk talked when she was around the Finch's and others because she was a smart and somewhat educated woman. Around her people she talked the way they talked because she knew that they would be uncomfortable if she talked another way. This made them feel more comfortable around her and they still felt she was one of them, too. Mr. Raymond let people think he was drunk because he felt it would be easier for them to think he hung around and married and had children by a black woman because he was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing!
I think we all do exactly the same thing. We talk differently to some people than we do to others. If i can boast a little bit, i think i have a pretty good vocabulary. When i am in an academic or work environment i use different language than i do when i am with my friends or family. The reason being, it is appropriate in some situations and not in others. If I were to use the vocabulary i use when i'm in class or writing a research paper with my friends, I wouldn't have friends for very long. It would be offensive for me to do so, because my friends would think I'm trying to show off or that i think I'm better than them.
I also think that we act certain ways depending on who is watching us.
I think Mr. Raymond acted like a drunk so he would not become hateful and bitter to the people in Maycomb (the way they were to him). What I mean is, he could understand people hating him or not approving of him based on his drunkenness. But he couldn't understand why they would hate him for choosing a black woman that he loved. He was giving them an excuse to hate him so he wouldn't have to hate them back. Does that make sense?
Post a Comment