Friday, March 13, 2009

Pulitzer

Do you believe that Harper Lee deserved to win a Pulitzer Prize?

4 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

Yes! I love this book for so many reasons. It is well written and the characters are very believable. The plot is not over the top. It is like you are really getting a glimpse into Maycomb.

A lot of books, articles, etc. that tackle race issues do it in a way that is in your face. This is not preachy. It ever so subtly points out some of the strengths and flaws in human nature. It doesn't have to say outright that racism is wrong because every situation and conversation within its pages illustrates how wrong racism is. Anyone who can read this and not see the absloute absurdity in being racist is indeed a fool.

And that's my rant! Thanks for picking this book. I hadn't read it in 12 years.

Cheryl said...

I think so as well. It was incredibly well written and it really feels like Maycomb is a real town and these are real people.
Also, the fact that it covers such a huge topic, like you said, in an unpreachy way is really unique.
I enjoyed reading it again as well. It had been since high school since the last time I had read it and it really felt like I was reading it for the first time.
-Annegirl

Mark and Callie said...

Definitely. This has always been one of my favorite books. I try to read it at least once a year. I think this book can be a great learning tool for so many people. Also, it think if we are willing, it can help us realize our own flaws if we are willing to take a look at our own lives.

Sanya said...

Yep, she definitely deserved it. Unforgettable characters, important moral questions, yet FUNNY! I started laughing out loud so many times (like when Scout called her boy cousin a 'whore lady' ha ha!)