Friday, March 13, 2009

Good

In the last few lines of To Kill A Mockingbird Scout says, "he was real nice..." and Atticus replies, "most people are Scout, when you finally see them." Do you agree that most people in this novel are nice once you see them? how is Atticus able to see the good side of people despite all that he has experienced? Can you?

5 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I do agree that most people are good when you really "see them".

I try to remember that all people are children of God (sorry to bring religion into book club). I also try to remember that I don't ever know all the reasons why people do or say the things they do and so I am a very imperfect judge.

Cheryl said...

This is something I need to improve on so it is good to be reminded of it. I have always believed that but , unfortunately, as I've gotten older and experienced more life I've felt it less and less. I hesitate to say most people are good because sometimes it feels like so many aren't when you go out and about and see how people act and talk and everything.
Then something huge happens though like a natural disaster or an event like 9/11 and you see how people rally together and you realize that, yes, people are good inside. We just have to find not only the good in others but the good in ourselves.

The Kings said...

There are some people in the book that really don't have alot of good in them. Some have a mixture of half and half. Others, like Aunt Alexandra and Mrs. Dubose were ones you weren't really sure about and then you see the caring and good and strength in them at the end. I think it was Miss Stephanie that I found I did not care for. She was a big hypocrite when she could see compassion for one group of people and then look upon the black folks with such disgust and hate. I guess in our lives we may not really know a person and may judge them wrongly until we "walk in their shoes" or understand more of what they are made up of and what they have gone through.

Mark and Callie said...

I think everyone has good in them. But, every person is racist in some way. We all have that embedded ethnocentrism that is really hard to avoid. I think that some people are kinder than others and are better at hiding their prejudices. That is one of the reasons i love this book so much, it points out that if you try to look at the whole situation and not just your little corner of it you will see that your ideas are not always the "right" way.

Sanya said...

Oh boy, Keddy Weddy is back! Long time no read, sister! Anyway, I do believe that everyone has good in them, but some people spend a lot of time covering up the goodness by doing stupid things - doing things they know they shouldn't. But we all boil down to our basic humanity in the end.