It is just ridiculous that the evidence that was provided was not enough to free Tom. It made me wish that the jury could not see Tom. If they could just read the transcripts they would have found him not guilty for sure.
No matter how hard they try to find an unbiased jury there is no way to completely succeed. Our prejudices and opinions run so deep that I think that we are not even aware of them sometimes.
I do love Atticus though. I think his resolve to prove that Tom wasn't guilty opened a few peoples eyes.
When you make people aware that what they just consider "their way of life" is a problem, change can begin.
It didn't feel like it changed the town much but I'm sure it did. I think it helped the black people in the community to see that some people would stand behind them. I think it changed Jem and Scout and Dill. I loved the scene when Dill started crying. It showcased so well the innocence of children. It's like when you go to a park and the kids just play together not caring about where they are from and who they are. We lose that as we grow up.
The trial was such a travesty...no right and fairness came out of it. And Tom lost his life because of the decision that came from the jury. People that really cared about justice were discouraged by the outcome. Dill cried, Jem was hurt and angry by the totally wrong verdict and I think for a long time distrusted and was confused by the judicial system, and Scout didn't understand how the verdict could happen. She, as young as she was, knew that it was wrong. Atticus must have been so discouraged that in spite of the evidence people still choose to ignore it because of prjudice. The book didn't go into it but I wonder how Mayella felt knowing she lied and another man lost his life because she was so afraid of her father.
the trial is obviously frustrating. People allowed their racist views to overlook the obvious evidence and truth. Not to get all political here, but i think this book showcases the justice system then and even today. I have a teacher who refers to the death penalty as a way to kill black people. (because a black person can commit a crime and has a 9 in 10 chance of getting the death penalty, where a white person can commit the same crime and have a 3 in 10 chance of getting the same penalty. our prejudices are so intact, that we look for excuses to penalize a minority just because we feel they are beneath us and therefor, could NEVER be innocent.
I don't think it changed the town at all. They got just what they wanted out of it. I think it definitely changed the kids because they could see that the town was wrong and that the only person willing to tell them that was Atticus. I think it helped them to realize that just because most or all people feel something is right, doesn't meant that it is.
But like Atticus said, just the fact that the jury took that long to find him guilty, rather than just right away, is a step in the right direction. You can't completely reverse the effects of generations of prejudice and racism in one day, no matter how good of a lawyer you are! So maybe it started them thinking in the right direction, and the kids who were so distraught about it - Jem, Scout, and Dill - will be the ones to make sure that real change comes about when they are adults. They were so impacted by it that you can be sure they wouldn't stand for that kind of social injustice as adults; they would stand up to it, like Atticus.
We are a group of sisters, mothers, daughters, cousins, aunts, grandmothers, and friends coming together because of our shared love of reading.
Annegirl
Favorite books are the Anne series and Emily series by L.M Montgomery, the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, Timeline and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton,just about everything by Shannon Hale (especially Goose Girl and Book of A Thousand Days), the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, the Hunger Games trilogy and Gregor series by Suzanne Collins, the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, and Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. I add to my favorites list all the time!
Bookworm
Favorite books include Gone With the Wind, the Harry Potter series, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Hunt for Red October, The Patriarch (George Washington), Those Who Love, and The Presidents Lady
Stampin_Maniac
Favorite books are the Twilight series, any by Mary Higgins Clark, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, autobiographies, and The Work and the Glory series.
Julie
Favorite books include...East of Eden and all other John Steinbeck works, 1984, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, Rebecca, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Memoirs of a Geisha, Charlotte's Web (and lots of other children's fiction novels)
Holly
Favorite books include Emma, the Harry Potter series, The Little Prince, Taming of the Shrew, Ender's Game, To Kill a Mockingbird, the Twilight series, A Christmas Carol, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Help, The Hunger Games, The Screwtape Letters, OPJB, and all of Bill Peet's children's books.
Deenie Bug
Favorite books are The Quicksilver Pool, Jane Eyre, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Moonraker's Bride, Window on the Square, The Secret Garden, Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings, and Agatha Christie books.
Wendy
Favorite books are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Oh the places you'll go, 1776, Little Women, Persuasion, The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, Little House, Christy, and A Lantern in her hand
BreeAnn
Favorite books are To Kill A Mockingbird, Little House on the Prairie, The Notebook, Twilight series, Jane Eyre, Little Women, The Work and the Glory series, anything by Mary Higgins Clark, and A child called it.
Sanya the Duck
Favorite books are Pride and Prejudice, The Good Earth, The Count of Monte Cristo, Harry Potter series, Twilight series, Anne of Green Gables, These is my Words, The Chronicles of Narnia, the Work and the Glory series, and The Kingdom and the Crown series.
Keddy-Weddy
G-Mama
Favorite books are Matilda, Pride and Prejudice, Rebecca, The Hiding Place, The Outsiders, Dealing with Dragons series, Twilight series, The Lord of the Rings series, The Thirteenth Tale, and Emily of New Moon
Stephanie
Favorite books include The Twilight series
Mel
Hare_Bear
Favorite books are the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series
5 comments:
The trial is very frustrating!
It is just ridiculous that the evidence that was provided was not enough to free Tom. It made me wish that the jury could not see Tom. If they could just read the transcripts they would have found him not guilty for sure.
No matter how hard they try to find an unbiased jury there is no way to completely succeed. Our prejudices and opinions run so deep that I think that we are not even aware of them sometimes.
I do love Atticus though. I think his resolve to prove that Tom wasn't guilty opened a few peoples eyes.
When you make people aware that what they just consider "their way of life" is a problem, change can begin.
It didn't feel like it changed the town much but I'm sure it did.
I think it helped the black people in the community to see that some people would stand behind them.
I think it changed Jem and Scout and Dill. I loved the scene when Dill started crying. It showcased so well the innocence of children. It's like when you go to a park and the kids just play together not caring about where they are from and who they are. We lose that as we grow up.
The trial was such a travesty...no right and fairness came out of it. And Tom lost his life because of the decision that came from the jury. People that really cared about justice were discouraged by the outcome. Dill cried, Jem was hurt and angry by the totally wrong verdict and I think for a long time distrusted and was confused by the judicial system, and Scout didn't understand how the verdict could happen. She, as young as she was, knew that it was wrong. Atticus must have been so discouraged that in spite of the evidence people still choose to ignore it because of prjudice. The book didn't go into it but I wonder how Mayella felt knowing she lied and another man lost his life because she was so afraid of her father.
the trial is obviously frustrating. People allowed their racist views to overlook the obvious evidence and truth. Not to get all political here, but i think this book showcases the justice system then and even today. I have a teacher who refers to the death penalty as a way to kill black people. (because a black person can commit a crime and has a 9 in 10 chance of getting the death penalty, where a white person can commit the same crime and have a 3 in 10 chance of getting the same penalty. our prejudices are so intact, that we look for excuses to penalize a minority just because we feel they are beneath us and therefor, could NEVER be innocent.
I don't think it changed the town at all. They got just what they wanted out of it. I think it definitely changed the kids because they could see that the town was wrong and that the only person willing to tell them that was Atticus. I think it helped them to realize that just because most or all people feel something is right, doesn't meant that it is.
But like Atticus said, just the fact that the jury took that long to find him guilty, rather than just right away, is a step in the right direction. You can't completely reverse the effects of generations of prejudice and racism in one day, no matter how good of a lawyer you are! So maybe it started them thinking in the right direction, and the kids who were so distraught about it - Jem, Scout, and Dill - will be the ones to make sure that real change comes about when they are adults. They were so impacted by it that you can be sure they wouldn't stand for that kind of social injustice as adults; they would stand up to it, like Atticus.
Post a Comment