Monday, October 1, 2012

The Englishman

The Englishman, whom Santiago meets when he joins the caravan to the Egyptian pyramids, is searching for "a universal language, understood by everybody." What is that language? According to the Englishman, what are the parallels between reading and alchemy? How does the Englishman's search for the alchemist compare to Santiago's search for a treasure? How did the Englishman and Santiago feel about each other?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think the universal language was just supposed to be that feeling in nature that everything is connected. Everything has a purpose.
When I stand near the ocean I think more clearly. That's what I thought of when I read that.

Holly said...

When I thought about a universal language, it definitely wasn't a spoken one. I think it has to do with the knowledge we all were given by God. The basic moral compass that we all have. Yes, some go against it, but it's still there. And it affects almost all aspects of our lives, especially how we interact with others.

The Kings said...

I think that universal language is a peace, understanding, and acknowledgement of a higher Being that is felt in nature and among people who don't even speak the same language. The Englishman felt that he would find the secret and answers to alchemy (magic) through reading and that through that he would find the Alchemist. The boy went out and searched and ran into the Alchemist and through him learned and continued on his quest and found his "treasure". The Englishman and the boy liked each other and respected one another.

Seth and Julie said...

Humanity, I guess. We are all tied together just by our nature and can feel and understand each other at some basic level with or without common language.