At the start of his journey, when Santiago asks a Gypsy woman to interpret his dream about a treasure in the Egyptian pyramids, she asks for one-tenth of the treasure in return. When Santiago asks the old man to show him the path to the treasure, the old man request one-tenth of his flock as "payment". Both payments represent a different price we have to pay to fulfill a dream; however, only one will yield a true result. Which payment represents false hope? Can you think of examples from your own life when you had to give up something to meet a goal and found the price too high?
4 comments:
I guess the gypsy woman's payment would be false hope because she didn't really believe that he would find treasure and come back.
I don't really understand why one payment has to represent false hope. He believed in the treasure, and in his journey, so the hope came from within him. Maybe I'm completely off on this though.
The gypsy woman's payment was the false hope bacause she didn't think he would come back. The old man requested a payment of a portion of his flock...it would encourage him to try harder to make good on his quest because he had to make a "payment". I can't think of an example in my life right now. I know in regards to running a marathon the price is high...not only monetary but also because of the time and training required to accomplish that goal. So I have had to be willing to do that.
I agree with Holly, both could motivate in different ways. The pre-payment would motivate you to make it pay off and to keep going but I am also hugely motivated by people writing me off or not believing that I can do something so the whole pay me when you find it thing would also motivate me to prove myself. Giving up my life to raise a puppy would be my only recent example of paying a price that feels too high most days, but again, I like to prove people, including myself, wrong so I am still plugging away.
Post a Comment