Many critics consider this one of the greatest short works of fiction of all time. Why do you think they say this? Discuss the themes in this short book: the importance of relationships, responsibility to others, the difference between right and wrong, the evil of opression and abuse. What can we learn from Steinbeck's book?
2 comments:
I wouldn't say that it is the best short novel of all time but I think it was very well written depicting a group of people and how their lives are lived in a vey short time. The main characters definatley exhibit personality traits: Curley...mean and hateful, Lenny...very handicapped mentally and someone who would be vey frustrating to care for, George...caring for Lenny when to have left him behind and ignored him would have been so much easier, Crooks...a shunned and lonely and angry man treated badly because he was black, Slim...kind for the most part and willing to give a person a chance, Curley's wife...a lonely, flirting girl who was looking for love and attention in all the wrong places.
I agree I don't think it's the best short novel of all time but I do see why they think it is important as it shows a window of time of our history. I found it hard to read (even though I had read it along time ago) after coming off of East of Eden because I enjoyed East of Eden so much more and this felt so different.
Post a Comment