Tuesday, February 2, 2010

religion

Throughout the novel, Charlotte Bronte uses biblical quotes and religious references. From the church supported school she attended that was run by Mr. Brocklehurst to the offer of marriage she receives from St. John, she is surrounded by aspects of Christianity. How does this influence her throughout her development? How do her views of God and Christianity change from her days as a young girl to the end of the novel? How is religion depicted in the novel, positively or negatively?

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think it is portrayed positively through characters like her friend in school that teaches her about forgiveness.
I think it could be interpreted as being portrayed negatively through Mr. Brocklhurst but I thought of it as mostly negative about him not his religion.
I felt like religion was positive but not necessarily the most important thing to her.

Seth and Julie said...

I thought her portrayal of religion was interesting...and I am laughing that we are answering these at the same time Cheryl.

Anyhow, I thought she put a negative spin on "religion" as witnessed through the hypocrisy of Mr. Brocklehurst and the self-righteousness of St John. But, I think she valued spirituality as seen with Helen. I think she was quietly spiritual and respectful of God, but not outwardly religious.

The Kings said...

She sees religion portrayed both in an unrighteous and righteous way. Her Aunt claimed to be righteous and could not have "the lying child" around to influence her children. But she was an unchristian woman, lied - which Jane saw - and allowed, by her example and words, her children to treat and get away with unkind behavior. Mr. Brocklehurst was a pompous, evil, selfish, fire and brimstone kind of person. Not at all a good example of what a true Christian would be. She saw this in how he treated her and in the running of Lowood and the mistreatment of all the students. Later with St. John and his sisters...she saw extreme goodness from the sisters (cousins) and even from St. John. However, St. John was so fanatically devoted to religion that he took so much good out of it and out of life. But even Jane saw the goodness he had and the zest he had for service to others.