Throughout the novel, questions of identity are raised. From her identity as an orphan and stranger in the hostile environment of Gateshead Hall to that of a ward of the church at Lowood; from her being a possible wife of Rochester, then of St. John, to being the cousin of Diana and Mary, Jane is constantly in transition. Trace these changes in identity and how they affect Jane's view of herself and the world around her. Describe the final discovery of her identity that becomes apparent in the last chapter of the novel and the events that made that discovery possible.
2 comments:
Jane's search for her identity felt so real. It broke my heart a few times. I already mentioned the doll. I was also very affected by her death bed reunion with Aunt Reed. She reverted back to that small child who desired nothing more than to be loved. She was begging even then for love, and willing to love in return. I related to her yet again. I hope I am not being too personal with these comments, but I have felt that way. Sometimes we seek the hardest for the love and approval of someone who has denied us that privelege. Especially as a child. As a child if your parents or care takers don't love you, you feel very worthless. If you could only win over the one whe despised you the most, you would feel validated. So you waste time and jump through hoops for people who don't matter. It is very hard not to be loved by those who should by their very nature, love you. It broke my heart, especially when the aunt still oozed hatred but I know why Jane did it.
Then when she loses Rochester and finds her cousins. She is so overjoyed to just fit somewhere. She needed to belong to them, and gave equally of everything she had because finding a place was so important.
She is married to the man she loves most and they are completely one in love and feelings. She takes care of Adele and puts her in a better school where she becomes a good young woman. She keeps in contact with Diana and Mary and visits with them and their husbands. She has a child of her own, and is truly happy and content with her life.
Post a Comment